A man* once predicted (I paraphrase) “We’ll have to learn the manners of being third world citizens.”
“What a grand crazy idea!” I thought, (though secretly I knew we were certainly on the path to such a claim). That was just a few years ago and today I know with certainty that we’ve lost our stature.
Most recent, and most troubling, is an all call advisory to the world that we have a gun violence problem and maybe people should rethink their planned visit to the US, “avoid crowded places like…schools, places of worship, shopping malls.”
- A nation that once attracted the tourists of the world is now considered an insecure geographical area.
We’re dying because our healthcare system is built upon uncompromising avarice. “One thousand percent increase!” on a patent I didn’t create, on a loophole they don’t close, on body counts that are out of sight, out of mind. (“Senator, did you hear about the couple that committed suicide because of health care bills?” “Why no, I”ll have my staff look into it.”)
- The wealthy do not care that people die as a direct result of their greed. They have theirs, fuck the rest.
Armed forces are raiding workplaces and holding up random citizens or sending them back to a country they never lived in where they die. “Where are your papers?” “Where do you work?” “What is your nationality?” “What is your main language?”
- Militant removal of ‘others’ for the sake of purity of a chosen few – a police state of racism replaces the open welcome of diversity.
National leadership demonstrates a complete disdain for norms and processes. Professionalism and duty towards country is now usurped by name calling and sycophantic treason. “I’m proud I held up a SCOTUS nominee.” “I’ll raise the price of membership to my golf club.” “I’ll visit an enemy country on our national celebration of Independence.”
- Elected officials casually dismiss our founding tenets for the sake of self-preservation and power.
- Refuse to replace staff, defiantly hold off on appointing cabinet members, gradually bring together all power under one authoritarian voice.
- Perpetual insecurity, filling the populace with fear so it’s willing to submit.
- Resisters are ridiculed; facts and logic considered crazy.
- Truth is subjective, propaganda becomes norm.
- The fourth estate is defamed.
- Wealth disparity grows daily.
- We’re in a heap of debt.
We are a toppled nation..
*Chalmers Johnson, “Dismantling the Empire”